Transforming your words, thoughts, and beliefs to create the world you wish to live in
Recently, I listened to a Lewis Howes’ School of Greatness episode (695) called Your Thoughts Will Heal or Kill You with Marissa Peer. A few main themes of the show triggered some areas of conflict I had been wrestling with personally in my life.
I loved it so much I had to listen a second time, so I could take notes and channel my thoughts into an episode. I know these are things you deal with as a creative human, too.
So today, I distilled my top takeaways from that episode and injected my own flavor geared toward creatives. The following is a 4 Step Blueprint for Kicking Major Ass in Life & Your Creative Pursuits:
- Know You’re Enough
- Choose Your Beliefs Wisely
- Use Words as a Weapon for Good
- Build a Fortress Against Critics
Overall, I want to give you the firepower for transforming your words, thoughts, and beliefs to create the world you want for yourself and others.
4-Step Blueprint for Kicking Major Ass
Step 1: Know You’re Enough
Everyone has 3 things “wrong” with them:
- I’m not enough
- I’m different, so I can’t connect
- I really want something like freedom from depression or success, but it’s not available to me.
Sometimes, we operate from a world of “lack,” which is draining and defeating. It makes us believe these three things are wrong with us and that we can’t accomplish great things in life. The feelings this spawns can make you miserable.
I understand you’re human and it’s okay to not always feel okay (I talk about this in episode 34). It’s important to allow yourself to feel the emotions until it doesn’t require you to feel them anymore. This is where awareness comes in and you experience the feelings but not bottle them up.
When you keep stuff in, it eventually causes you pain. It’s hard to find resolution if you don’t confront yourself, another person, or the situation that’s causing you these feelings.
Feel them, experience them and confront them so you can feel enough.
Step 2: Choose Your Beliefs Wisely
- Your words and thoughts are BFFs and create your beliefs.
- You are what you believe, and you get to choose whatever you believe.
- You make your beliefs, and your beliefs make you. Because your beliefs are a reflection of who you are, make your beliefs and thoughts amazing.
- When you know you’re enough, the whole world will learn to know it too. The world will believe what you believe about you.
- Attitude of Gratitude
- Jen Sincero – You’re a Badass at Making Money: Gratitude is one of the strongest and most transformative states of being. It shifts your perspective from lack to abundance and allows you to focus on the good in your life, which in turn pulls more goodness into your reality.
- Remember: What you appreciate…appreciates!
Step 3: Use Words as a Weapon for Good (tell yourself better stuff)
- Every word you say is a blueprint that your mind, body, and psyche are working to make your reality.
- You make your thoughts, and your thoughts make you. When you know this, you can pay close attention to what you’re saying about yourself and your situation.
- Change the way you talk to yourself:
I can’tI can (I can eat this whole gallon of ice cream) I hopeI will (I will respond to this new wave of adversity) I’ll tryI’ll do (I’ll do meal prep for five days a week) I’m notI am (I am capable of crushing this test) Bad, I knowGood, I know (I know what I have to offer this world is meaningful)
- Flex Your Praise Muscle
- You can’t depend on people to flex your praise muscle for you, especially if you live in the solopreneur or freelance world. There’s no one else there to pat your back but you.
- Raise yourself up: Tell yourself often that I’m a good person, I have a skill/talent, I have something to offer this world, I have a purpose and a reason for being.
- Build up your praise muscle and flex it often, as it makes you bulletproof for step 4.
Step 4: Building a Fortress Against Critics
- Praise vs Criticism:
- Praising yourself and others builds up you and them.
- Criticizing yourself and others harms both them and you.
Lewis Howes: “The biggest critics are the ones who aren’t creating.”
- Critics, Trolls, and Haters have no life and are generally miserable and unhappy.
- Most people are pushing their hate on you due to something they’re lacking, dealing with in life, or actively dislike about themselves
- DON’T LET IN CRITICISM: THIS MAKES YOU BULLETPROOF
- People can’t criticize you if you don’t accept it. If you don’t accept it, you haven’t let it in. If you don’t let it in, it doesn’t hurt you and it’s left with the person holding it. DON’T GIVE THEM THE POWER OR PERMISSION.
- Note to Self: You don’t have to defend yourself—that’s letting it in, and it consumes you!
- Don’t even respond; just say thank you for the feedback and let it go.
- Lewis Howes School of Greatness: Episode 695
- Jen Sincero: You are a Bad Ass at Making Money
- You’re Human & It’s Okay to Not Feel Okay (PP 034)
- Dose of Inspiration: @eightfivebrand
- Podcast Editor: Aine Brennan
- Shownotes Editor: Paige Garland
- Podcast theme music: Blookah
Want to Support the Show?
- Become a backer on Patreon
- Leave an Apple Podcast Rating and Review
- Share the show on social media or follow the Perspective Podcast Instagram
- Crypto Donation Support
- Bitcoin: 1j5vE64PWgkJHGnGSrAiJK82bnfn7fBgu
- Ethereum: 0xFf60588C873E34235dE371450d58129d8d7cAC16
- Litecoin: LerTFZfvtW4iH7qJM8vSE9mkdQA24yKmB6
- Subscribe via your favorite podcast player: