Matt Dawson on Making Priorities and Building Communities
I’m going to say something that may strike a nerve. It may even put a bad taste in your mouth when you think of me…
However, I say this because I truly do give a shit about you and your future goals.
I say this because it used to be me, and I realize how I was really just in my own way.
If there’s something you want to do or accomplish, saying you don’t have the time to pursue it is just a big ole excuse to make yourself feel better about not following through and taking action.
When, in reality, it’s not that you don’t have the time—it’s that you haven’t made it a priority.
Making something a priority means sacrificing elsewhere.
You have to take a long, hard look at areas you’re over-consuming, wasting time, or working on that doesn’t serve the bigger picture.
In order to get the results you want with your ambitious side hustle pursuits, you have to be willing to make the time and put in that time to grind over time.
I’ll say that again, you have to make the time and put in the time to grind over time.
Results don’t happen overnight, and no one is going to carve out the time to execute for you.
It’s on you. No excuses!
Someone who finds the time to grind outside a crazy schedule and has been doing this for years now is my one of my best buds in the design game, Matt Dawson aka @staygrayponyboy on Instagram.
Matt is one of the best when it comes to designing logos and badge concepts. He has a way of adding a unique and clever twist to his work that stands out from the competition. It’s not something you going to find from a $20 logo template set from Creative Market, that’s for sure.
When he’s not flexing his design skills, he’s building a community for creatives all over the world, so we can find like-minded people who nerd out over the same creative shit as we do.
He does this through Crop Conference, which is a thriving creative-based conference that has found a new home in Austin, TX. He brings in some of the biggest names in the industry to melt the faces of hungry creatives like you and me while connecting us with a new tribe of people that’ll become like family.
Buckle in, as we are about to keep it real right from the jump and chat about:
- The difference between not having time vs not making it a priority
- The reality of overnight success vs long-term grinding
- Knowing what you want and knowing it’s possible
- Growing vs staying stagnant
- Crop conference, community, pizza, Procreate, and more.
If you’re struggling with patience or suck butt with time management, this one is definitely going to speak to you and how to make significant habitual changes to grow.
- Connect with Matt Dawson: Instagram | Website | Shop
- Use PRSPCTV and save $25 off your Crop Conference Ticket
- Download your FREE Side Hustler’s War Chest
- Get your FREE audiobook download from Audible
- Join our Private Global Facebook Community of Creators
- Listener of the Week: JoshCrist_USA
- Podcast Editor: Aine Brennan
- Shownotes Editor: Paige Garland
- Video Editor: Colton Bachar
- Podcast music: Blookah