Lauren Dickens on Blazing Your Own Successful Path & Fighting Burnout
The two things we all deal with as we relentlessly pursue “success” in our creative grinds are the comparison trap and burnout.
Often, one fuels the other and vice versa. You compare your work and consistency to those who seem to be doing more, and it’s all-too-easy to burn yourself out.
Or you get burnt out because you’re not living the curated life people seem to be living on your phone.
Those are just a few examples, but I’m sure you could think of 50 more scenarios off the top of your dome in less than a minute.
That’s because we all struggle with these dilemmas. I personally feel it’s because many of us, including myself, haven’t defined success for ourselves. We’re wrapped up in what success is for others.
Today’s guest, ever since she was a curious young girl trying to figure out her place in the world, has been blazing her own path and defining what success means for her.
I’m talking about my talented friend Lauren Dickens. She is the All-Star of Type, the MVP of Branding, and the reigning Player of the Year when it comes to Illustrations.
She slays work from her home court of Austin, Texas, for some of the biggest brands in the world like Facebook, Target, and SXSW (to name a few).
Today “El Dick” and I go deep on:
- Tips and process for client relationships, pitching, and presenting
- How constraints breed creativity with your work
- How to defined your own success
- How to light your spark when you’re burnt out
- Typography, the NBA, chickens with old lady names, and more.
- Connect with Lauren Dickens: Website | Instagram | Dribbble | Twitter
- Download your FREE Side Hustler’s War Chest
- Get your FREE audiobook download from Audible
- Join our Private Global Facebook Community of Creators
- Listener of the Week: MarcusAncel usa
- Podcast Editor: Aine Brennan
- Shownotes Editor: Paige Garland
- Video Editor: Colton Bachar
- Podcast music: Blookah