This episode is brought to you by Crop Conference
Crop is a 2-day celebration of creativity, community and inspiration April 18th & 19th in Baton Rouge, LA. Register today before it sells out and use Promo Code PIZZA at checkout to be entered to win a FREE ticket to their PopUp Crop Fall event! Check out the full lineup at Cropcons.com
Why Concept is King if You Want to Stand Out with Joshua Ariza of Chomp Brand
LISTENERS OF THIS EPISODE GET 15% OFF CHOMP MERCH BY USING PROMO CODE PERSPECTIVE at Chompbrand.com.
Back in episode 104 titled Don’t Die a Creative Copy Cat, we talk about stealing waves, riding waves, and making waves of your own.
Not stealing waves is a given. Don’t plagiarize and jack people’s shit—especially for profit—and ALWAYS make sure to credit (today’s guest deals with this all the time, unfortunately).
Riding waves is a little more tricky, especially when you’re starting off. It’s too easy to bite someone’s else’s style or rock the latest trend. Ironically, standing out harder when you’re trying to fit in.
Then you have the wave-making mavericks in the game. These are the creatives who tenaciously find ways to be different, even if it means going against the grain.
They take risks. They expect failure and welcome it with open arms. Most importantly, they bet on them themselves, take initiative, and make things happen.
Taking Risks & Making Your Own Waves
One of the biggest wave makers I’ve gotten to know in 2018 is Joshua Ariza who works full-time freelancing with the biggest brands in the world like Facebook, Nike, Red Bull, Disney, Star Wars, and Taco Bell.
That’s pretty rad and all, but you have a legend in the making when you realized he’s rocking his surf/skate apparel brand Chomp and while making time to be a family man and taking care of his earthly being and health.
Josh and I talk about:
- Growing a profitable apparel brand
- Taking risks and betting on yourself
- Using failure as a tool instead of an excuse
- How concept is king and the importance of standing out than riding trends
- Using outreach to create your own opportunities
Enjoy This Episode?
- Connect with Joshua Ariza: Website | Instagram | Twitter
- Connect with and support Chomp Brand: Website | Instagram
- Episode reference: PP104 Don’t Die a Creative Copy Cat
- Podcast supported by Patreon Backer Iron Bean Coffee Company
- Listener of the Week: anitakwiecien (UK)
- Podcast Editor: Aine Brennan
- Shownotes Editor: Paige Garland
- Podcast music: Blookah